Saturday, July 6, 2013

When We're Stuck

Life can overwhelm us with a variety of difficult things - cruel people, hard jobs, financial instability, and broken relationships, just to name a few. My first instinct is to just run away! But that isn't an appropriate response. So what should we do when we're "stuck" in the lives we didn't plan?

1 Peter 5:6-7 #JesusCalling #May13
[source]

I'm going to be completely honest today and tell you, yes, I've heard 1 Peter 5:7 my entire life! I was consistently taught this in church and at home. It's a very popular verse, "Cast all your cares upon Him because He cares for you." It's definitely an encouraging verse! But let's take a look at the verse which precedes that one. 1 Peter 5:6 says, "Humble yourself therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time."

I am also a reader of the Message Bible and it's translation reads:
So be content with who you are, and don’t put on airs. God’s strong hand is on you; He’ll promote you at the right time. 
I'm not trying to tell you to just give up. If you aren't living the life you always planned and you can change it, take some action! Change the things you can! But sometimes, our timing is just wrong. I believe that God gives us seasons of life when we just feel stuck. We can't change anything about it, but it is then we surrender or humble ourselves before God. We learn to be content with who and where we are and not forgot that God is watching us. He has a plan for our future and when the time is right, a door will open or an opportunity will rise. Our timing is different from God's and if you're like me, patience isn't easy. But I have a feeling that God's plan will be worth the wait!

Psalm 37:2 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in Him, and He will act. 
I pray that today, we will quit worrying about our situations. I pray that we will fully humble ourselves before God, and that we would rely completely on Him. I surrender this to Him and I am done feeling such negativity about where I am. I hope that if you are going through something difficult, you will find the courage to give it up and hand it to Him as well.

This is just a quick devotion today, but it's something I've been dealing with lately. I hope that some of you can relate to this, but even if it was just for myself, I wanted to share.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

well said.

Lacey said...

Perfect, Jessica! This is really an encouragement to me. I have moments of discouragement like anyone else, feeling like my life isn't as grand as I wish it were. But if you have love and trust in God, it's the best we could ever wish for. He is so good.

thatnks for sharing this!! :)